View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Clive

Your car looks amazing, guessing the 16" wheel works on mine as there is a up and down position change allowed on the standard MKIV. Mine is all the way up as I need to fit.

I also added a YouTube video above...

Changes overall:
-Moto-Lita milled a steering boss to accept the MKIII wheel
-MKIII wheel added
-Center Cobra steering cap replaced with AC as 1986 was when these were recognized as Cobras outside the USA and only MKIV at the time of build. MKIV in the US as well....

Wheels are magnesium 6.5" x 15" six pin
Tires are 775-15 2-Ply bias

Pickling is done after some oxidation has occurred protecting outside of the wheel they will be soaked in oil as a preservative as magnesium does not weather well exposed to air. Even wax does not make them last long.
The process:
1) Soak rims in a penetrating oil like WD40, overnight
2) Wipe with rag then soak in "Gun Oil" as the final protectant. 24 hrs
3) Wipe and then do it annually step 2 only

One can have the Dow 7 of today done however that is sacrificial coating and needs annual (depending on the environment) re-do. $$$$ The gold speckles in the front is the remaining Dow 7 BTW.
The oil too is annual re-do however it is easy and can be done at home.
Learned this trick from Lynn Park, Drew Serb etc....

Note: Front wheels are already done thus the darker look as these were in my parts stash a number of years. The rears are casting about 5 years old and new outta box. I will oil in the next month after more oxidation then they will match the front and be protected.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-23-2020 at 06:53 AM..