View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking to buy my first Cobra 427 in Oz

G'Day All

I have long been a lover of the AC Cobra 427 and over the years I have owned many various sports cars (even a Bolwell Nagari at one time of which I'm sure you guys have never heard of) mostly Alfa's and over the last 10 years now Ferrari's my current car being a 2004 360 Spider (Manual) which I love dearly.

But I have never faltered in my passion for a really good 'authentic' 427 copy (is that an oxymoron?) and now that I am an old grumpy man with a bit of money for toys I'm looking to add a sibling to my Ferrari (they should get on famously right ) Just found this site and have joined up confident that I will learn much from the local natives on their home grown product

The big problem in Oz is twofold. Getting a good one (there is allot of real kit car quality crap out here) and getting one that is as authentic as possible in its looks, sound and feel. There are many great brands out there vying for my money such as Superformance, Factory Five, DAX and even some good local Oz brands such as Absolute Pace and their Pace 427 which has a truly inspiring chassis, a sight to behold, but not what I am looking for !?

I want to have a car with the look and feel of an original 427 as much as possible and not necessarily paying $USD 250,000 for the privilege. We have an agent here in Melbourne for Superformance who are the only licensed manufacturer outside of Shelby themselves who seem to have a good authentic body with accurate dimensions and a good solid chassis under it using typically a selection of Rousch engines. I would be looking most likely at the 427R motor. What to you yanks (I say that with love and affection ) think of Superformance? how good are they?

I would love to import a car from the US but this opens up a minefield of shipping costs and compliance issues. I also see that Shelby themselves have the CSX6000 continuation cars but I don’t think they are available in Oz and have no idea on price for them.

So from this vast pool of all Amerian Cobra knowledge what would you guys consider if you were in my shoes here in Oz. Remember I don’t want a 1000 HP supercharged mammoth fire breathing monster, I am looking for authenticity in looks, feel and even sound for a 427 right down to the 15" Good Year Eagle Billboard tyres which I think are an amazing look. 500 to 600 HP will be more than enough

Best Regs from Oz