View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

The best I can tell all versions with a Ford part number on them were sold as the same Ford accessory kit number. "COBRA KIT" accessories was a Ford Motor Company endeavor. Ford published a flyer itemizing available items and Dearborn Steel Tubing Company was responsible for packaging and shipment. (DST doing the kit building was why fasteners and other small parts in retail kits for Cobra parts and accessories were not the same ones Continental Cars or Shelby American used.)

“COBRA KIT” packages received paper COBRA stickers as part of the advertising identification. There were several sizes of stickers from quite small (small enough to fit on a paper envelope pack an emblem was in) to large for big things like complete induction systems.

“COBRA KIT” parts came in a variety of types including:
1) Exact same parts used in new HP289 engines
2) Exact same parts used in a new Cobra or 427 Cobra
3) Service replacements of several types for production parts
4) Aftermarket accessories never used on any new car
5) Even complete engines

Some “kits” required at least one other kit. Example: If you bought a 3-2V induction kit for a Fairlane you also needed a designed and made for the purpose throttle linkage “COBRA KIT” to go with it.

Last edited by Dan Case; 03-24-2020 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: add detail