View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default More on Quick Jack Hardware

I pulled my Quick Jacks off last night just to see the quality of the hardware, with an eye towards whipping up something like 1795 did. I was also thinking about adding an aesthetically pleasing folding tow hook to the top bolt of the quick jack. The threaded rod, of which there are two per quick jack, appear to be standard, general purpose, low carbon steel Grainger type stuff, in 3/8". There are hex nuts and washers on the threaded rods behind the frame mounts and there are acorn nuts on the threaded rods in front of the jack pads. It appears to be general purpose stuff. Now, even the weakest, low carbon steel, 3/8" threaded rods have a safe carrying weight of 600 lbs. The quick jacks themselves are thick, heavy steel. If you ran a synthetic web sling, through and behind both quick jacks (four fastening rods), in a basket hitch formation, wouldn't it be significantly stronger than a tow hook attached to one single threaded rod and fasteners that were all upgraded to Grade 5 or even Grade 8? A simple 1" x 8' web sling like this easily holds over 3000 lbs. and would take ten seconds to fish behind the quick jacks. https://www.e-rigging.com/1-inch-X-8-foot-Web-Sling

Last edited by patrickt; 03-25-2020 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: tweaked