View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblue69 View Post
If you stated it, I apologize... But by any chance do you have an oil thermostat? I installed a Canton thermostat on my Cobra before I even drove it for the first time. I homemade an aluminum bracket for it and mounted it to the forward cross-member and plumbed it in with the usual AN braided line. I think ERA has a "rough drawing" of the plumbing schematic in their "additional tech" portion of the website. And in regards to the oil viscosity, which I know I'm gonna start a holy war here but... it depends on the clearances of your rod and main bearings and environment your driving your car. I personally built my engine for my car and can tell you that I run straight 40W but that can be another thread.
I don't have an oil thermostat. I thought about adding one, but Peter recommended against it--just one more thing to malfunction. Whether that was out of true reliability consideration or just the PITA factor of installing one I'm not sure, but the oil seems to come up to temp in 5-10 min which is plenty quick for me. It gives the tires a chance to warm up a bit as well, which keeps me from ending up someplace I don't want to be.