View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In terms of a more affordable glass bodied copy I'm confident I can get the body trim, wheels/tyres, interior etc looking pretty authentic to a 65/66 427 AC but I have some questions about the following;

Colour

I love the royal blue and indigo blue however again I want to be period correct. What were the official blue's used on the 427s at the time? What was the most popular? Can you still get the same colour?

Engine

Of course a key element and where possible I want to try to stay true to the marque. Fair to say I can't get a genuine small block 427 FE side oiler nowadays however there seems to be a plethera of suppliers offering 'crate engines' said to be built to original 60's style. Short of buying a 'continuation car' from Shelby with its shelby motor Roush seems to come up as the best option (please corerct me if wrong). I am aware of the Shelby ALUMINUM 427 FE; 468CID (550HP) but it an all aluminium motor (not period) and rather pricy!

Any suggestion for a good engine?

Transmission

All I know is they used a 5 speed top loader and that everyone seems to like Tremec boxes. Is that true and what model would be best? Again happy to stay true to 5 speed.

What are your thought on transmissions?

Differential

The original car used a salisbury 4HU differential and rear axle and as far as I can see you can still get them relatively easily. So I guess my thoughts are on that for now! Your thoughts?

Brakes/Suspension

Unless I'm prepared to pay big $$ for a continuation car I have to be realistic in terms of my bid for 'authenticity'. I'm not so fussed with this part as I accept it has to be of a modern standard however not looking for 6 pot Brembo with machined/drilled ventillated discs or carbon fibre for that matter ! Again Superformance seem to have a good solid chasis and brakes/suspension offering as standard. What do you think?

I appreciate your taing the time to give me some of your learned thoughts

Best Regs from Oz

Andrew