CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Hi again Andrew.

Answers to some of your questions…

427 colours….the most popular blue on original 427 cars was Guardsman Blue.

Engines….you are correct, original 427 cars had 427FE (and 428FE) engines, but they are definitely big block engines.
The 351W, punched out to 427 cubic inches by Roush and others, is a small block, and was not fitted to the American Shelby 427 Cobras.

Gearboxes….yes, original 427 cars used a Toploader 4 speed gearbox. There was not a 5 speed version of the Toploader.
The Tremec 5 speed transmissions are a popular choice in 427 replicas.

Differential….I know a little about the 289 and 427 diffs, but plenty on this forum know a lot more. Here’s a starting point... http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...erentials.html

Bottom line though…. talk to others in your home State. Advice from this forum is of no help if you can’t get your car passed by your Victorian registration department.

And continue asking questions here on Club Cobra.

Cheers!
Glen

Thanks Glen, great stuff. Much needed information

The engine is a big deal for me and of course a big part of a good Cobra repo. Roush have FE engines but no 427/428 that I can see. In turn there are heaps of crate engine suppliers claiming to have 427 engines. If I wanted to find a 427/428 FE (side oiler) copy/best alternative what would be the best to consider. I see even Shelby sells an all Aluminium block 427 but to me it not the same (plus big $$$)