View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

At the risk of contradicting more experienced engine gurus (you know who you are :-), please look at this thread: 390 problems | Capital Area Cobra Club

If you look on the 'net for them, you can find lots of other folks who have experienced similar intake gasket failures posting similar threads.

The failures appear to be across the board, affecting small blocks, FEs, 385s and all. It seems to occur mostly in engines driven frequently, where heat cycles mount up. I've had it happen to my cars (both 385s) and seen it in 351s and FEs personally.

I use Victor Reinz gaskets now, and no more problems. They are reinforced.

The Fel-Pro Print-O-Seal (AKA Fail-Prone Print-O-Leak) are fine for race engines and any others that experience relatively few heat cycles between intake manifold R&R for maintenance.

After we confronted Fel-Pro at the PRI Show a number of years ago, we got vehement denial followed by their issuance of their steel reinforced intake gaskets, denoted by an "S" on the end of the part number.

Use what you want to use! Just be prepared for a possible consequence.

Just sayin'

Tom