View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 07:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Got it. Thank you. Super helpful.

My Holley efi wiring schematic shows that power should come directly from the battery so that’s probably where my funkiness is coming from.
I Googled Holley EFI amp draw and did not get a simple straightforward spec on what its number was, but I did see that it came with a 40 amp fuse on it, so it's definitely pulling something. If you wanted to know exactly, you would use an inductive amp meter, like mine pictured below. You just clamp it around the wire while the load is running and *poof* you've got your answer, just like magic. This pic was from a thread here where people were musing what the initial in-rush current of an FE stock starter motor draws (which is why it goes through a solenoid) and it is about as high as your battery can serve up, for a moment at least, as it sets up the field in the electric motor. Note that my starter motor draws, for a moment, over 900 amps. While it's cranking it draws over 200, as I recall.