View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
I guess what I was saying is that I was surprised the a 1964 comet would have come from Ford with one of these scatter shields from the factory if it was ordered with the 289 HIPO. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else that any of the cars that could be ordered with a 289 HIPO had one of these scatter shields from the factory.

So I assume Ford had Dearborn steel tubing start packing Cobra kits sometime in 1963?
Starting point of DST packed Cobra kits, no idea.

Cobra goodies were announced to Ford dealers through the internal Shop Tips magazine issue of February 1964. The issue was proclaimed "SPECIAL FEATURE! COBRA KITS! NEW FROM FORD!".

Ak Miller was the focal point for enthusiasts wanting 1963-64 racing Ford parts and Miller and Ford published race engine parts lists and how to publications. The Shelby American Performance Equipment book didn’t come out until circa April 1965 and was revised May 1965. The mass quantities of “COBRA” catalogs that got wide distribution to anybody any company that wanted them was in 1966. The 1963 parts list for stock and race parts was a dealer only item as far as I know and covered mostly racing options. SA filed a copy and an amended copy with the racing clubs around the word. I have heard of a 1964 SA list but never seen one or have any idea how extensive its coverage was.

Last edited by Dan Case; 04-07-2020 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: correct which magazine and audience