View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Conducted a very interesting exercise while stuck indoors over the weekend, thanks to COVID-19 and mid-winter like weather here in Melbourne, which I found very educational in helping me decide on what look I want to aim for.

I found tracking SCX3xxx cars is very easy if you simply focus on Shelby 427 Cobra's sold at auction at places like Sotheby's, RM, Bohnams, Gooding etc. You can find great pics on just about every 427 ever built as they have all gone under the hammer one time or another.
I finally stopped after accruing some 360 photo's covering 45 different cars with 14 original S/C's so now I think I have a reasonable library on which to ponder my dilemma.

Found some very interesting results. For the most part all the S/C's are quite 'pure' in design. I couldn't find a single car with a glove box for example.

Roadsters on the other handd seem to be far more liberal in their makeup with many having the larger rear tyres, sidepipes and driver roll bars as well as their roadster front and rear bumpers. SCX3102 seems to be a std roadster but with an S/C dash. And how popular is red for roadsters...wow!

I did find a couple of outliers...... CSX3272 and CSX3181 where I was not sure whether they were Roadsters dressed up as S/C's or S/C's with Roadster dashes. Neither of them have ash tray's either. Any thoughts on how these came to be that way??

All in all I found it a very interesting couple of hours.

So my conclusion is that I guess if I have a S/C reproduction with a glove box it won't be the end of the world for me. Although it would be nice to find just one original S/C where they did have aglove box. I would feel vindicated in my decision