View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 06:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Glen,

I will let the more knowable folks here answer your questions about running in a cam, but my understanding is all cams need to be run in for 20 minutes for the lifter (or whatever rides on the cam) faces to bed into the cam lobes.

One suggestion I have is to have the motor run before it goes into the car.

1 - Dyno - If you have access to a shop with a dyno stand, they can do the first start up and check for leaks, run in the cam, make basic adjustments to the carb or fuel injection system and do a few pulls to see how much power the motor is making.

2 - Engine Stand - The same process as above, but on an engine stand. Less expensive and you can do pretty much the same thing, but no horsepower numbers.

3 - In The Car - Run the motor in the car, which it pretty obvious and can be easily done. The only down side is dealing with leaks or more serious mechanical issues, such as a bad lifter, leaky rear main seal or some other problem.

With a property built motor, the chances of a serious issue should be minimal, so as in most decisions when building a car, it usually comes down to three things … time, money and work. The key is how to balance those three.

- Tim