View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAddict View Post
Has anyone ever tried to simply import a US Cobra into Australia? There are sooooo many really good looking cars in the US at really good prices compared to what is available in Oz.

However from what I can understand of the ADR laws they 'would not' qualify as a 'Pre-1989' build car and therefore be subject to the full force of our ADR regulations.

Has anyone had a go?
Yep you can do it as long as you can prove the car was built before 89. There's a few Contemporary's that fit that bill but its tricky to get all the docs approved for import prior to buying it. There are pre 89 cars here on full rego (aka the contemporary that was used in part on the AP cars) BUT from your inference you're asking can post 89 built cars come in based on that rule. Some did come in as 65's pre 2010 but that little scam got cracked down on and now if those cars havent been brought in to current alignment then their days are numbered as the DOT will canary them and expect full compliance. And so they should.

Most of the question you seek info on have been discussed well before. Google is your friend. This Forum was amazing for many many years and an awesome reference point for those who come up against the same questions most have...but a lot have gone to FB now as this one kept crashing. Seems good now and my preference has always been this site tbh.

I think you're looking for a UNICORN based on your spec. You can have a horse or a Rhino but a horse with the horn is only for those who can really afford one. You will find the Oz Cobra community is ridiculously small and connected so always best to keep comments + even if you think otherwise. We all have our preferences. Good luck, if you find 2 unicorns I'll happy take the other off your hands. Been doing this for nearly 20 years and finding the perfect configuration of originality, compliance, legality and technology and desirability are all challenges yet perfected.

If you want old school, 428 left hooker, patina and full compliance buy STEF GRECO's car. He's in Sydney. Its not for sale but could be. Google is your friend.