View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I doubt the flywheel is a problem and I like aluminum flywheels - have three of them in various cars right now. The pressure plate however could be an issue. I've seen reports and photos where they have come apart. Are you able to get someone to watch the fork end while the pedal is fully stroked to verify the fork is stroking full distance with it?

If the pivot failed I don't think the pedal and TO bearing movement (such as it is) would be quiet or smooth.

I lean towards McLeod clutches although some think they can be a bit heavy. Ram is another good choice. It's sort of a personal issue due to a new, but very bad Hays flywheel I once purchased - but I have a low opinion of Hays products at this point.

Teardown is probably where you have to go next. I pulled the Toploader in my ERA last year and rebuilt it and if you plan to do this yourself, here are a couple of suggestions. I bought some all-thread in the size of the bellhousing to trans bolts and cut four lengths about 8 or 9 inches long. Once the trans bolts were removed I screwed the all-thread sections in, put a jack under the engine pad (with plywood and carpet protection) to raise it slightly, pulled the transmission mount and then simply slid the transmission back on the dowels to where it was sufficiently out from under the dash and I could get a good grip on it and lift/drag it over on to the floor towards the door where I could carefully lift it out. Before that I cut 5/16" plywood to place over the floor on both sides and the center frame area to cover and protect the carpeting and frame.

Before tear out of the clutch though I would make sure the hydraulics are working and the fork is stroking fully. Maybe there is some air in the slave line. If that bleeder isn’t fully rotated to the top of the slave cylinder, all the air can’t be bleed out. But you probably know all that.

Last edited by DanEC; 05-08-2020 at 10:13 AM..