View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

If it is your car you can do what you want, but don't expect praise for things other's do not appreciate.

I have owned plenty of small bock Chevy cars in my puppy days. I have personally built a few SBC and BBC. I will be the first to say that the SBC was a great engine design. Easy to work on, all type of parts everywhere, proven to be a reliable engine. It makes good power.

That all said I do not understand the desire to stick a SBC in every car. I go to car shows and see it over and over, to the point of wanting to puke every time I see a Model A or early Ford with a SBC crammed into it. The same car with a 289 or 5.0/347 build is so much smarter. The SBF is smaller, lighter, and makes any power level you want. For about the same money, you can have something better that belongs there. While I'm pissing the Chevy guys off, the reason you have to use a Model A Ford, is because the millions of Chevy cars made in those years were poorly built and few survived.

It's like these people have no imagination and cannot think past the "it's easy and everyone uses a SBC." Yes everyone sticks SBC everywhere. That is the problem. They are like some horny juvenile ignoramus, sticking his pecker everywhere, including goats and sheep. There are just some things that shouldn't be done even if you can get away with it, and sticking a SBC in a Cobra is one of them.

If you want to put something in a Cobra that does not belong in it, then keep it Ford if possible. If not then be creative. I have seen a Mopar 426 Hemi, a Viper V10, a turbo V6 Buick, and I give them a hat's off for being creative.

Now I'm sure I have ruffled a feather or two. I forget the name, but a fellow on this site has a 9.0 sec 1/4 mile Cobra that he has drag raced for years. It's mostly a Chevy drive train, if not all. I have talked to him a few times. I give him a pass because one, it's a really fast car, and two he built it for a reason. Also the folks in other Countries who don't have access to Ford engines or a lot of Government red tape, sure a total pass.

However, if you are just mindlessly sticking a SBC in it because that's all you know how to do, then educate your stupid self and try to think outside your tiny box!

I feel better. Some of that was tong-in-cheek, but most of it is just facts.