View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Though I guess some would want to disguise that the electric motor is in their car, it misses on me. If you have something else , why hide it?

If Chevy would have been of a mind to sell Shelby motors, we would all have Cobras with Chevy motors.

And as to why so many people have used Chevys in their builds for all types of cars, the SBC was a great design. It was easier to develop HP at lower costs than any other motor for years.

The SBF motors were choked with a poor head design for many years. The lower end was strong. But since it is a air pump, a poor efficiency path limited its best performance. Ford realized it with the Trans Am series. They stuck the better flowing Cleveland head on it to get better output. Where SBF motors pulled ahead is when Chevy started mucking around with the SBC and it seemed to stall out with advancement.

I always get frustrated with the idea that any thing that is a "change" for original is "wrong". Don't get me wrong, I have a real hard on for Chevy and no one was happier then me when they declared Bankruptcy. In 77 I bought a Caprice for a company car. It had the highest output motor I could get, F spec suspension and all of the options. It took 3 motors and 2 trans to get to 100k miles! Then I had a fleet of GM cars for my service reps. We could not get 7k miles on an exhaust manifold or 10k miles on front rotors. Cost my budget a lot of lost productivity dealing with breakdowns.

Then I was stupid enough to buy one of the S10 Blazers in 84. At 7 months I had 14,700 miles on it when the trans fried itself. GM would not offer me any relief. They said "you are beyond the 12k mile warranty". They wanted $1,700 for a rebuild and would give me a 3k mile warranty on the trans. I took it to AAMCO and they rebuilt it for $1,300, added a trans cooler and gave me a 1yr/12k mi warranty. I told the Western VP of Chevy (ended up with a call from him trying to get some relief) that I would never buy another GM product. He said that was my choice. I then told him that I controlled the vechile choices of my Service Reps with a crew of 45. Over the next 10 yrs I converted 63 cars from GM products to Ford or Chrysler. Who knows how many of those guys converted their personal choices to other mfg from GM since they saw superior reliability with their company cars of GM choices in the past.

My wife's cousin was a Pontiac dealer and he always gave my wife no small amount of grief when he saw her driving a Toyota. Just before GM went Bankrupt He sold his dealership back to GM to retire. GM gave him some cash, but most of the purchase price came in the form of restricted GM stock. When GM declared Bankruptcy the stock became void. Next time we saw him, he was driving a Toyota and was very bitter towards GM saying they knew they were in trouble and "stole" his dealership.

As a last "swipe" at auto advancement in design choices, when Chevy went with the transaxle with the C5 in 97 I went to the Chicago Auto Show and saw a cut-a-way of it on the floor. It turns out that one of the design engineers was at the show and saw my intense viewing of the model (I was down on all fours looking at it). He came over to ask me what I thought of it. I told him it was a pretty good cheap copy of a 1978 Porsche 928. But with all of the years since then I would have thought GM could have done better. He turned red face and asked me if I had a design background. I pointed to the cut-a-way of a Garrett turbo motor on the floor and said that the wastegate valve design in the turbo was my design while I was in College. I explained that I worked in the R&D lab for Garrett in the 70's while I was in school and I redesigned the system to correct early failures. Hid=s face got even redder and he walked away without even a "good bye".

What I'm trying to say here is that we all get a little sideways with our point of reference and preferences. Remember we are all biased and sometimes a little too closed minded. IMHO if you are not building an exact copy of a Cobra or any other classic car, you are just "Hot Rodding". Its your choice and embrace and enjoy it and every ones interpretation for their attempt to create something that they or you like! Look at my choice, I have a "stretched" Classic Roadster. I have been in original 427 Cobras, FFR, EM and ERA. At 6' 2", 220lbs and one artificial hip. So I get to enjoy the general lines of my car with accommodation.

Enjoy your cars and the creative differences we each incorporate in our builds to make each of us happy, whatever that may be!