View Single Post
Old 05-17-2020, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
I don't think the switch just applies the parkbrake in an emergency. Can you imagine an electric parkbrake locking up the rear wheels with no modulation possible?
Appling the parkbrake switch in many cars at speed above about 8 mph actually applies the hydraulic brakes on ALL wheels to slow the car quickly and safely to a stop.
Great aid for a medical emergency, especially for a passenger.
Gary,

Back when I was young and stupid, as opposed to old and stupid, we used to take our cars out in parking lots or on rarely used back roads and at about 50 mph would pull on the emergency brake (which was mechanical) and slide to a top. Left a lot of rubber on the road and you had to react quickly.

It seems like the emergency brake, which was meant to stop the vehicle by a progressive mechanical means if the hydraulic system failed, has transitioned to more of a paring brake meant to lower the risk that a car would roll when parked. With a properly set emergency brake you would have a difficult time moving the car under power. Most parking brakes today will not stop you from moving the car under power.

Jim