Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
Well I just had to say something! AC cars Ltd back in the day at least 2 Cobras left their factory with Chevy engines, FACT! They used Ford engines but were not required to, if a customer wanted a Chevy they got a Chevy in their COBRA from the factory. And today AC Cars what ever that means now uses GM LS engines. And a former Shelby mechanic back in the sixties who later went on to build his own Cobra kit car told me that back in the late sixties and early seventies as a privateer racer the trick was to pull the 427 ford and put in a 427 Chevy because as a privateer you could afford to race and win or race and blow a motor and with a Chevy you could afford to be out racing the next weekend and with a Ford sideoiler , well who could afford that with out factory sponsorship?? So a Chevy in a COBRA is not without precedence.
My first statement would be, prove it. Let's see some documentation. Hearsay doesn't count, because I'm sure there have been all kinds of stories passed down over the decades.

Second statement is, if an AC car came with a Chevy, that's all fine and good, but that's not the same as building a Shelby Cobra. Show me a CSX car with a Chevy engine.