View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

So you estimate only 20 original cars remain in original untouched condition. Remember there were street versions sold. Not all were race versions. Several members bought originals around the early 1970's and still have them. They might have been the second owner. Maybe the third owner. I believe there may even be a few original purchasers in existence. I would have to buy a Shelby registry, before I could speak with any knowledge. I too would doubt any race version is pristine untouched, but some have been restored to like new condition, for sure.

I do know that not all of the Cobra's built survive today. I also know that some were wrecked beyond repair, but different people got a piece or two (guessing with numbers on them). Now there are multiple Cobra's with a part or two from an original claiming to be the original car. I have heard that there are more claimed original Cobra's than were built. Thus the Shelby registry is trusted to sort all the crap out. Just because you repair a destroyed car, the tittle does not necessarily mean the registry will accept it as an original, from what I have read.

I'm guessing that an original Cobra would not be allowed to participate in any modern day races. Rules have changed so much over the last 50 years or so. There are some Cobras running in vintage racing events from time to time. A member does run an original in Autocross events.