View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
BAsque1 you said "fans" which I assume is two. Have you checked the amp load of the fans?
Is there a label on the fan or model number where you can see what the fans amp load is suppose to be?

The best way to check is with an amp meter. I bought a industrial 50 amp DC meter and wired it so I can pull a fuse then plug in the meter to read the amp load. Some Multi meter will check a 30 amp load but mine with not. That's way I bought one.

Check a fan last fall that was labeled at 7 amps but when we check it over 15.

Oh, another thing to check is wire size.
Yes I do have 2 13" Bosch fans that came with the car. Last year I changed the fuse holders for each fan because they were deteriorated with age etc. I have to brand new mini fuse holders properly installed. Yesterday I tested the amp draw the second the fans go on at 205 degrees with an induction amp meter. One was 45 amps and the other was close to 100 amps, the one with the 100 amps was closer to the alternator so I attributed the spike to the EMF generated by the nearby alternator. THat been said both fans run freely there is no apparent hesitation or binding that would draw more startup amperage.
I changes the mini-fuses for 30 amp circuit breakers, tested them and they work as they supposed at 205 degrees. However, I will need to use the amp meter that you talk about so that I can accurately test how much start up amperage is being drawn. No the fans only show the model # voltage the amps is 15 according to the manual I have for them. Here is a picture of the info on the fans.
Attached Images

Last edited by BAsque1; 06-04-2020 at 03:33 AM..