View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2
... Question for those with "standard", less restrictive pipes - I believe the packing used is high temp fiberglass, correct? My Harley had glass packed baffles and the glass deteriorates over time and they slowly get louder. Is that true of the packed side pipes? If so, that is another consideration when considering the trade-offs involved with choosing exhaust.

Kevin
I was wondering about this with my FFR stock pipes. They are loud, of course, but also have a sort of metallic hammering sound, especially on deceleration, that I'm not crazy about. I'd love to quiet them down a bit. I have ceramic coated setup and love the look, so I'd rather work with them if possible. The Cobra only has 1,600 miles but is 7 years old. Maybe the fiberglass has settled or worn.

As long as I'm asking, I have a more basic question: How does one go about "replacing" the muffler? Do you cut the welds before and after that center section, weld back in the new muffler, have it ceramic coated, and then reinstall the entire thing onto the car?

I was seriously considering the Flowmaster Slimline but they seem to be discontinued.

And what about adding those baffles that slide into the tail pipe?

SOLD Replaced by something with a Flat-6