View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Man - unless you find someone who has fitted one to an ERA that may be a very difficult question to answer. I fitted my ERA top myself and I think the main thing would be if the pattern of the rear deck portion of the top matches the same dimensional layout of the studs that ERA uses. The rear deck edge of the soft top could reach some studs but not others for fitting the snaps. I believe I have seen somewhere a layout of the studs that ERA uses to pre-drill their cars. If you could obtain that, maybe Cobra Restorers would be able to see if it seems to match up with the pattern used for their soft top (which is probably from some other vendor). Or if you are real lucky, maybe the actual vendor is the supplier to ERA. Otherwise, I don't think the bows or windshield frame channels or front hold down clamps would be a big issue. But assuming you will have a standard ERA roll bar, ERA provides a piece of material for altering the top to extend it around the rear leg. You would need to get some matching material and do something similar.
I'm not afraid of fitting the top. I am concerned about exactly what you are mentioning. I have been told Cobrarestorers uses Robins, but even at that, is it the same as the one ERA uses?

Maybe Bob will know. If not sure, I don't think I will risk it.

If an ERA top comes up for a fair price, that is better. I have an email into a guy that may have one.

I found a nice used top for ERA 755 and it fit with no problems and then I pretty much rebuilt side windows from another manufacturer. They looked ERA original when done.

John