View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveguess View Post
it definitely is a crap shoot. i would like to find out who the owner is, not to circumvent mecums but just to get the history. i was actually looking for an ACR Extreme and then this thing popped up. cobra has always been on my wish list, but they all have such individual builds with little continuity they are always a complicated process to buy. i in no way view these as investment cars BTW
The "investment" status of even the originals is questionable. Their values have plateaued. If you spend $1M on an original, you're not going to compound your investment to 2M in 7 years (or whatever the rule of 78s says). You're better off investing in the stock market.

The same is true of replicas - they are not investments. However, the reality is that some hold their value against current products. Shelby CSX, Kirkham and to some degree, properly built Superformances while they don't appreciate, do hold their value. They'll never be more valuable than a new one but you can buy it, drive it for 5 years and sell it for the same value. That's only happened to me with three vehicles: The Cobra (which I sold for a wash), the Ford GT (in essence a wash), and believe it or not, a 1995 Case 1845C which i used for 10 years and sold for the same as I bought it.