View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 06:24 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shadow View Post
thanks for the responses, I have been a cobra adnorer for over 30 years and have vowed to make this year the year I get one and ditch the C3 corvette (which was also a bucket list car) that I have a love hate relationship with due to its inherent design flaws for servicing parts. In a perfect world and time I was hoping to score a used Superformance after selling a few toys (race cars) but due to the covid and the economy no less then 6 buyers have bailed due to funding. so I decided to try to score a much more affordable used FF cobra. I do like them I just seem to be finding a lot of Mrk I and II's and want to know if they are updatable or whats "bad" about them if I end up with one. Like I stated before the one thing I think the FF's dont have is that nice hood/cowl bow in the middle, they seem flat and the roll bar is too narrow and too tall for my taste. I appreciate the input from the forum.
I've owned quite a few FFR's from very early (white gelcoat body) to 3.1's, have not owned a MK IV, but have seen a number of them both in raw kit form as well as finished products. I believe if you start with a MK II and up chassis (FFR 2300 and up for the earlier cars) you can find a nicely done, wonderfully driving car. Personally, I suggest finding a car with a 3 link rear, or IRS, stay away from the straight axle with quad shocks. Once you drive it, you'll understand where I am going with this mindset. Depending on your location, wipers and a heater is suggested as well. Top is optional, and I can honestly say, after 20+ years of Cobra ownership (various makes and models), I've only used a convertible top 9 times that I can remember. 7 of them with SWMBO insisting due to the cold weather., the other 2 times, because of the heavy rain storm I was driving through on a 400 mile trip. Expect the top to keep you as dry as any vintage British convertible. In other words, expect to get slightly wet in places.

Once again, hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS