View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

GBalko,

My front suspension is now bullet proof and has almost the same travel as stock travel!
The original upper shock mount was only welded by the CR factory so they could use readily available "Monroe" type shocks available in the late 80s!

Keep in mind, many of the companies like QA1 didn't exist at the time of manufacture by CR, they were simply trying to utilize inexpensive "off the shelf" components available at the time of chassis production.

Also, regarding lowering the upper shock mounts, simply cut off the existing mount, shorten it to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and weld it back on the the upper spring perch, paying close attention to the angle the shock travels! If you don't weld, any good auto shop can do this for you for a hundred bucks or so.

Shortening the upper perch does not have much impact on travel, the QA1 spring simply will not compress to that point without "spring bind" or compression of the coils to touch each other.

In my opinion, the factory CR1 "Pinto" lower A-Arm with strut arm is junk! Multiple bushings and deflection. The Heidt tubular option is the way to go. Just requires some minor welding and set-up. If you're going to the length of new springs and shocks, now is the time to get rid of the "Pinto" strut arm and go tubular A-Arms! I did all of the measurements and comparisons when I did mine and I'm very happy it a much improved front suspension versus the M2-Pinto set-up!