View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
Without the fan on, the voltmeter is indicating around 14V. Fan kicks on and it drops to 12V or even lower when at idle or at a stop light. Amazing how much a drain the fan is on the charging system.
Running a 1G alternator? If you're not hung up on period correct look of 1G, switch it out for a Ford 3G alternator. Internal regulator and fans, higher capacity and widely available. Easy bolt-in swap with some minor re-wiring to eliminate the external regulator. Serpentine pulley is easily removed and replaced with V-belt pulley. Mine is a 130 amp rated unit that fits a 1995 Mustang V6 and can generate more amps at idle than my 1G alternator could generate at 2,000 RPM.

The only caution I would offer is the higher output at idle of the 3G may cause belt squeal if things aren't 100%. Some go to double pulleys, but I'm running a CVF Racing billet aluminum pulley - the aluminum seems to do a better job of grabbing the belt. I also run a turnbuckle type adjuster from CVF that allows for finer tuning of the belt tension than does the old slider and bolt style adjuster.

Alternator output curves:

Left to right: 1G, 2G and 3G alternators - avoid the 2G:

3G alternator - note V-belt pulley:

Wiring diagram - minor changes:

Check this out article out for all the details (and more photos): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/inst...r-older-fords/