View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm most accustomed to mechanical clutch linkage so when I built my ERA I had a learning curve with the hydraulic system. I suspect you need to lengthen the rod by adjusting it - from the slave to the fork. Basically force the rod into the slave as far as it will go and lengthen the rod until it takes up all the slack to the fork. The slave cylinders have a return spring in them so it takes some force to fully seat it back. Try this and see if that doesn't fix it. You do want a bit of free play at the top of the pedal - I like not more than an inch in hopes the pressure plate isn't spinning the TO bearing when the clutch is released. So after it seems to be working properly and not engaging the clutch right off the floor, you may need to shorten the rod just a bit to allow that slight bit of free play at the top of the pedal. A return spring on the fork is a good idea to counter the spring inside the slave cylinder. Another poster on here recently posted about removing the spring inside the slave cylinder and posted that it improved his clutch pedal feel.

Edit - also you may need to check your clutch pedal to master cylinder linkage. Basically, the clutch pedal should activate movement in the master cylinder as soon as you start to depress it. Depending on your type of set up there could be some slack in the linkage that needs to be taken out or a return stop on the pedal that needs adjusting. Basically everything needs to be adjusted for immediate response in the cylinders when the clutch pedal is first depressed.

Last edited by DanEC; 07-19-2020 at 06:07 AM..