View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
Only two wires attached to my alternator - thick red one on the backside and a thinner red one with yellow stripe on a connector attached to the side. Doesn't appear to be any ground wire. How and where do I attach a ground wire?

SBSerpent, the back half of the Alternator requires Grounding. There should be a threaded hole for a GND Screw... ~5/16" dia size...
If you can get a 1inch long machine screw, Washer, GND cable , Star Washer you are all set. Note put the Star Washer between the GND Cable and Back case of the Alternator. Then the Washer and Screw Head complete the sandwich.
The Front of the Alternator with the Belt/Pulley assembly is insulated from the back since Alternator cases are made of 2pieces.

Then run your cable (if 0.25" dia cable, it may be actually 8gauge which is good up to 6ft of length) to the chassis GND or the GND on the Solenoid. Also use a Star Washer between your Cable, Solenoid post/cable you are attaching it to...

Keep us posted on the results....
Good luck...

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600

Last edited by Moritz55; 07-19-2020 at 05:05 PM..