View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
I am uncertain how to visually measure the "frailty" of any metal. Can you explain the process?

That may be. Please tell us more about the chemistry of the alloy steel that failed and what it should have been. Please elaborate a bit on what elements you found in the steel and what elements were missing. If there were no elements missing please advise us the actual concentrations of the elements you found in the steel vs the correct concentrations that you believe should have been present.

How did you determine there was missing welding? Did you compare the component to another SPF Cobra or perhaps did you have manufacturing documentation that called out for a different type or location of weld?

Please read post #10 and post #12. They will give you excellent guidance on improving the diff mounting in the chassis.

These bodies are fiberglass. You should have no difficulty getting at the top of the location to weld. Just cut a hole in the fiberglass floor above where you want to weld. Remove the now liberated piece of fiberglass. Clean the surface to be welded. Position the pieces you wish to weld. Go in with your TIG torch weld what every you would like to weld. After cool down, clean the surface for painting. Paint the surface to prevent rusting. Re-glass the piece of flooring you just cut out. Paint it to look pretty and you are done!

I have an SPF and I have never found a heat sink anywhere on the chassis. In the picture you posted I also do not see a heat sink.

If you mean that you think the heat treatment is incorrect you probably ought to know the steel used in that section of the chassis (and I think everywhere else) is not heat treated it is almost certainly condition "N" steel, possibly condition "A" steel but likely condition "N" steel.

In your determination of heat treat status what type of test did you use to determine the heat treatment?

In the FWIW category the piece of damaged mounting hardware you displayed in the photograph looks as if the mounts were not tight. The freedom of movement the loose mounts afforded the nose of the differential housing, allowed the differential nose mounting hardware to hammer against the mount eventually tearing the mild steel. This would have taken some time to accomplish.

Just looking at your photo it would appear the damaged component approximates 0.125" in thickness. That thickness of mild steel, in a properly designed mounting, should be more than adequate to restrain the nose of the IRS housing.

All that being said, if you want to very securely mount the IRS center section to your chassis the solution / answer is in post #12 above.

Ed
I think first I'd like an explanation of how almost 900hp was not the major contributing factor. This sounds like a case of pilot error to me.