View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
Actually ..the best way......is to get the valve to be fully open...make a mark and turn it exactly 360 degrees....the lifter will be exactly at the bottom of the lobe.
The other thing , when the engine is running, just tighten the rocker until it stops clattering and then back it off slightly...when you have done this more than a few times it becomes easy... Hence my solid lifter motor runs pretty quitely. I just put stud girdles and new rockers but did not take a video....I will here soon just to show you......I must ask of you experts.....how many of you have actually built a motor from scratch....and I mean from scratch...not a short block...????
I have built many different engines, stripped down to nothing, parts clean, inspection, measure, engine machining shop discussion, measure up for assembly, dummy build in different areas, cylinder head porting, inlet manifold porting. Valvetrain geometry checking, light springs etc.

Some shops I have dealt with don't know what bearing crush is.
One shop couldn't understand what was causing the rear main seal to not fit correctly after line boring the block. The groove where the seal sits is not machined round again after the caps are ground.

One shop fitted cam bearings with about .020 of clearance, yes .020.
I did not assemble this engine.
Needless to say, the engine had no oil pressure hot.
Strip down revealed the issue.
I ALWAYS TRIAL FIT A CAMSHAFT TO THE BLOCK FIRST before continuing with assembly. It is very easy to remove a cam, if not happy. A bit more effort if the rest of the engine short block is assembled first.

And I have NEVER run a solid cam engine down to zero clearance. That is the roughest way of deciding on what amount of clearance to run. Set them manually, engine off, rotate to correct place for lobe (EOIC) works every time. Some engines with mild timing can have many valves adjusted at the same position, ie: TDC No.1.

Has anyone ever seen a solid lifter cam ground with no ramps at all, base circle all the way around to the opening and closing flanks?

3 techs adjusted the valves on this engine before it was decided the camshaft was the cause. Dial indicator showed completely round base circle.

Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 07-26-2020 at 05:06 PM..