View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Guru View Post
By the way, Took out the entire bracket today. It crumbles if you bend it by hand. No-one every did anything to it, no modifications no tinkering anything at all there. Paint weld everything original.
1. SP F*cked up on that weld and metal choice. (weld is not continuous, spot welded only). Don't get me wrong nothing else wrong with it, still keeping it (car). But it's a f-up there in the manufacturing.
2. Metal is somehow crystallized, breaks easily. hand strength (not back and forward, single bend break).
3. Bracket was manufactured with 3 pieces of steel, with their 45 degree angles, but only 2 spot welds on one of 45 degree sides.
4. tested driver side (solid) no issues. Welded continuously, good and Not crystallized in any way. alloy is good/solid. (still going to re-enforce it from below).

thank you.
Have a great day.
Contact a dealer or take samples of the metal to them and have them look into this. If the metal is crystallized, I believe heat had to be involved. It could have been when the metal tube for the frame was made (before being sold to SPF), or when welded, or after the sale. It is possible it was caused by flexing around half broken (metal fatigue). In any event, SPF should be made aware. If they bought a bad batch of tubing they would want to know. Perhaps they employed someone for a short period of time and that person also worked on a few other cars.

You truly believe it was a manufacturers issue, so do the right thing and inform them. You could save someones life, or cost someone their life by not reporting this, if you are correct.

My mind was on the frame, but you were talking about the bracket. Everything still applies, but it is the bracket not the frame.

Last edited by olddog; 07-27-2020 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Correction