View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Steve, I used Evans and was totally happy with it, except the price. I had furious overheating after boring my RAT out to .070 from .060. Did everything I could think of and everything others suggested. Even to the point of taking the water pump apart to see if perhaps the impeller was slipping on the shaft.
Anyway, I thoroughly drained the entire cooling system including all the hoses. Then I used my big shop vac as a blower to blow air through the whole system by duct taping its hose to the upper radiator hose, with the thermostat removed. Ran that for an hour at a stretch, to give the vac a break, and did this for two full days. You definitely don't want to have ANY water in the system with the Evans.
Did the trick. The engine still ran hotter than my gauge would register but I never had any pressure build up and never any coolant puking.
When I totaled the car, for the second time, I drained the Evans through coffee filters and have about 5 gallons sitting in the garage. I sent in a sample to Evans to analyze and was told that it was just like new so maybe I'll use it if I ever have to rebuild my tiny little engine in the current Cobra. It is an excellent water pump lubricant and totally prevents the ugly corrosion that can come from aluminum interacting with some other metals. My 3 1/2¢ worth.
BTW, I'd be willing to make someone a smoking deal on my Evans.

Last edited by Karl Bebout; 08-01-2020 at 09:52 AM..