View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Need advice from anyone with an automatic transmission or engine expertise

Hi guys

I test drove a cobra recently with an automatic transmission and felt that the car would literally drive forward on its own more than I wanted it to without me pushing the gas pedal!

I’m currently looking to build my own cobra and have the luxury of picking any engine I like (which I will likely mate to an AODE transmission).

I was told that the reason why the cobra was literally “driving itself“ was that with the amount of horsepower that the car had (about 450hp) coupled with the fact that it was fuel injected would keep the car rolling forward (due to its light weight) because an automatic car is always in gear

In order to minimize this, I was encouraged to go with a carbureted engine as opposed to fuel injected. Would you guys agree?

Also, I would really like to get a 427, but do you think that the higher horsepower would push this car forward much much harder (say when I take my foot of the brake) than something with less horsepower, or if I go with a carbureted engine do you think I’ll be OK with a 427?

I’m currently considering the Roush 427SRX vs 347SR vs 331SRX

Many thanks!