View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Hello Shadow. I have a CR1 that I purchased about 60%-70% completed. I had looed as many kits for almost 10 years before I purchased this kit. Funny, but originally I liked the ERA & Unique. Unique kind of went away and ERA became more expensive. As time went on I discovered Everett Morrison and was very near to purchasing one of theirs because I have always been interested in the C4 Corvette suspension.

Then I visited FFR- liked what they were doing for engineering design. But I an 6' 2"/215 lbs and in my mid 60's with a replacement hip. Suddenly performance at the extreme was replaced by ease of egress.

The CR is not light. The suspension is "old school" with Mustang II front suspension and Ford 8.8 live rear axle. The frame is 6" longer and 3" wider.

The quality varied a lot by who owned the company and the financial condition at that time.

As Tommy already mentioned, I have "hacked" at my dash 4 times to get it to fit. The center tunnel looks like it was an afterthought. But the fiberglass body is one of the most straight I have ever seen! And the fiberglass is very thick (hence the weight). The original molds were designed by a company that built fiberglass boats. The earlier CR 1s are high quality from what I have read. Late CR 1s- iffy. Late CR 2s great quality. Mine was an early CR 1 and one of the most complete cars shipped, I have the original packing slip and assembly manual (as much as it was) as well as all the additional receipts of the 1st & 2nd owners and the MSO!

It is closer to an early non-S/C body design then a 427 S/C, especially the rear fenders. It came with 15" X 8" wheels. I am installing pin drive 7.5, 9.5 X 15" Halibrand style wheels. I will have to add a 1 3/4" lip or flair on the rear to cover the tires.

The body rides low on he frame- so the motor sits high in the car and somewhat forward. So your intake system will be limited. The 94-95 Mustang EFI intake fits the best but you loos 15 HP with it. A non-high rise intake manifold with a carb & low profile air cleaner will just fit.

I installed a Kenne Bell Supercharger on my 302. So I had to cut out the hood scoop, split it down the middle, add 5" in the center and raise it 3/4". Not very pretty but it has much of the original form- just larger.

The frame is solid, but not like the original cars. The cabin is 3" wider & 6" longer with dropped footboxes. The door opening extends forward 6" which really helps exiting the car if your old legs don't bend like they used to.

I kind of like the proportions with the longer wheelbase. I was familiar with the original cars growing up in California (a friend's next door neighbor had a 427 S/C for a "daily driver"- my 1st ride and addiction).

If you want an experience close to an original- Kirkham, ERA, Backdraft. If you want a well performing car that can be serviced by your local Ford shop- FFR. If you need more room and want to just cruise a CR works well.

I hope to have my motor running this month and into the body shop for paint by Sept 1st. I plan on keeping the CR for awhile. An I am already thinking about my next project- a FFR Daytona Coupe. I just need to keep busy!

Good luck with your voyage! Bill said it well, look at ( and if possible) drive more than one to figure out what pushes your buttons.

Thom