View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

I don't know if 427 glove boxes were of the same construction as 289s, but after studying COB6029 and with help from Dan Case and Luke on the ACOC forum, I think I have mine just about correct.
The glove box door is of plywood, with a chromed brass hinge running along the bottom. One leaf of this is fixed to the outer face of the bottom of the glove box door using countersunk-head rivets, so sits vertically when the glove box lid is closed. This is hidden by the cotton wadding and the leather covering (not sure if 427s had leather or not). The other leaf of the spring is fixed to the aluminium dashboard glove box hole return, so sits horizontally when the glove box is closed. This is attached by 4BA screws, internal tooth washers and nuts, from memory - Dan has the details.
I found a hinge manufacturer in Birmingham who supplied the motor industry many years ago, who made some to order for me. The company is Gold & Wassall, Birmingham, England.
Luke kindly sent me some photos of an original 289 glove box his firm had restored, so credit to him for these:

OK, forum doesn't allow photos (or at least won't accept ones of 46kb!). You should get the idea from the above.