View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Excellent write up. Manual brakes take leg pressure. I have an old C2 Corvette and it has good disc brakes but you really have to stand on them to haul it down and the old Corvette design engineers on the Corvette Forum says that was the way they were designed - for lots of leg pressure if you really need to stop. I have the pretty much run of the mill brakes on my ERA and they are a bit easier on leg pressure for normal stopping than my 66 Corvette so Bob obviously put some good effort into the set up and pedal ratio/master cylinder sizing.
Totally agree with this. The Cobra brakes definitely need to be learned and appreciated. You have to drive it like an old race car I guess, power assisted nothing! I takes effort to steer and stop and I have learned to actually like it that way. Thank goodness the clutch is not the same way as all of my old muscle cars way back when. I find the Cobra clutch system to be almost effortless....unlike the brakes. Like Dan said, if I have to really stand on the brakes, the cars stops great. It is just a little unnerving to have to put that much effort into it because that is not what we are used to in our everyday modern cars
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear