View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Both Polycarbonate and Lexan are impact resistant but if you use your windshield wipers you'll have scratches. Just like you don't use dish towels on your plastic glasses lenses (which are probably polycarbonate.)

That was always my understanding also, Tony. Which is why I was asking about the ceramic coating product. According to the Cobra Valley folks they say,

These specially coated Polycarbonate windshields replace your Cobra glass with a virtually unbreakable, abrasion resistant, Ultra Violet ray resistant, fog resistant, anti-yellowing super clear distortion free form fitting, curved high performance option that will last for years and years... even after repeated windshield wiper usage! — this has a silicon dioxide sound to it.

Which, for me, is counter intuitive. I was always of the same opinion as you are regarding unprotected / treated polycarbonate for a windscreen. The ceramic coating banter for painted surfaces is saying stuff like this (below) which is starting to sound like a good thing for a plastic windscreen.

9H Ceramic Protection

Tint WorldŽ Nano Ceramic Coating was specially formulated with greater than 9H hardness for extreme scratch and chip resistance, UV rays and corrosion protection. Our advanced car ceramic coating system permanently "bonds" to vehicle paint and other surfaces and withstand extreme heat up to 1400 degrees° F. The coating is a crystal-clear liquid multi-layered application and the coating thickness can be increased with additional layers to provide a thicker and harder multi-layered lifetime protection.

and this,

Advanced Protective Care

Tint WorldŽ Nano Ceramic Coating is the latest and most advanced super-hydrophobic application that beads and sheds water for long-term protective care for your vehicle. Our ceramic coating provides a permanent shine and protection that resists dirt, brake dust, and tar from sticking to your vehicles' paint, wheels, trim and glass, which makes washing your vehicle easier, it stays cleaner longer, and it requires less frequent cleanings; once applied, you will never have to wax again!

When we start talking about Lexan or Polycarbonate windscreen alternatives these sort of properties start to take on significance beyond paint appearance considerations which is their usual forte.

That is why my curiosity is so high about anyone attempting to use them on a plastic windscreen replacement and what sort of experience they have had. In the end it might be all marketing hype but there is always that chance someone has used them and can validate (or invalidate) the claims.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 09-03-2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar