View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No. Aligning the bell housing to the crankshaft has to be as close to perfect as you can possibly get. With a bell housing like my Lakewood, it takes time, trial, and error, to get it just right and then you set it with dowels so when the BH is removed in the future you don't have to repeat the operation. I am told that Quicktime bell housings are considerably better out of the box than Lakewoods, FWIW. If you don't have the BH dialed in properly, your transmission will not be aligned correctly and you will have problems. Dialing in a bell housing does not require an advanced engineering degree, it just takes the time and the patience to do it right. If the engine is sitting on a stand, it is wayyyyy easier to do than lying on your back under the car where you might very well be tempted to say "well I've been under here for an hour, that's good enough." I have no doubt that if the Kirkhams were dropping an engine/trans combo in they would do an outstanding job dialing in the bell housing, as did the elves at ERA. Anybody else and I would ask to personally see the gauge run around the bell housing opening to see what the numbers were.
I bought the Quick Time, and I had a little problem aligning the Trans shaft into the pilot bearing for me, so I bought three from Summit between Jegs and all three were different in size. A friend that is a machinist took some measurements and made a bushing at work, and it is PERFECT lol. So the bell, input & clutch are almost perfect. I've never had them inlign so well.