View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

This is what the Forte mid-shift shifter looks like installed on a TKO. Mike did a very nice job adapting the Pro 5.0 hardware to the Tremec.

Here is a side view of the shifter

and here is a measuring tape view to get a sense of the height of the shifter

I cut the shifter length intentionally long so I could shorten it to my taste later. When I was talking with Kirkham I asked how tall their shift lever was and they thought it was pretty close to 6 inches. The two sharpie marks on the shifter are for a ball height of 6 inches for the lower mark and 6.5 inches for the upper mark.

The measurement is to the top of the ball. There are at least two different ball diameters I am aware of. One is 2 inches and the other is 2.5 inches. The shift ball I have is a 2.5 inch version so the shift bar needs to be cut 2.5 inches below the target mark. I am going to start at 6.5 inches so I can lower it later if necessary.

Hope this helps anyone trying to do the mid shift mod — BTW it is very easy to do.

In the FWIW bucket I chose to use 17-4 stainless bar for the shifter partly because it is strong, partly because it will not rust and partly because when I get done polishing it, it will look like chrome.

To get a sense of the visual here is a link to the shifter in the billet Cobra Kirkham built for Ellison, click here => Tremec Mid Shift and go to page 273 and 275 to see the shifter. Here is another view click here => Mid Shift Side View and go to page 58.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 09-05-2020 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Fixed broken pic link