View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
So I have decided to go with the Aviaid pan. I loose some oil capacity yet gain a ton of 'piece of mind' and not have to worry about putting holes in my current pan from scraping.

Couple of questions:
1) What type of pan gasket do I use (aside from the steel reinforced rubber one piece)? This particular pan is notched along the rails. I have heard that you use a smooth gasket for notched rails and a ribbed gasket for smooth rails. Inputs? P/N's would also be appreciated.
2) Is there a gasket that goes between the pickup and the pump?
3) RTV ONLY at the corners where the gasket transitions from the rail to the crank?
4) Torque values for the pan bolts and oil pick up bolts?
If you don't already have them, give serious consideration to installing a set of oil pan reinforcement rails. They'll stop the deformation of the sheet metal on the pan rails that lead to leaks. They're available from a wide variety of sources:

In addition to the reinforcement rails, I also replaced the oil pan bolts with studs and 'flange nuts'. Others may disagree, but IMO the pan is easier to install that way, plus the flange nuts have one way 'teeth' where they meet the pan rails to help prevent loosening.