View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #360
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
Do you have a mechanical timing advance on the distributor?? MSD. I noticed my RPMs were hanging up while lifting my foot. I cleaned and lubed the exterior of the carb (AED) and it would still happen occasionally. I had an epiphany and thought what if the mechanical timing on my distributor was hanging up. That would increase RPMs. So I popped the cap, everything looked good but I gave it a shot of wd40 where the weights and springs move. Problem gone so far. BTW- I have no vacuum advance on the distributor.

Hope this helps...
John
So I thought I had it all worked out. 1st ride after some WD-40, the problem was gone and it drove as it should. 2nd ride, it was doing what it was doing before and bogging bad. I took the air cleaner off and repositioned it a bit because its always hit the top of the distrib (working on getting a small riser to get it off of there) as well as opened the cap and closed it and the car ran great on the 3rd run. But any ride after has been where the RPMs climb.

Say I buy lube and not just use WD-40, put the air cleaner on a riser... Is there something I'm missing here?

EDIT: Just got back from a quick ride and the RPM's are not falling or fall slowly. I've tested all throttle linkage while in the garage and everything seems free. While on the ride, I used my big toe and the one next to it to grab the side of the pedal and it seemed to make the RPMs come down like they should.

*The weird thing is that on the past 5 trips when it was running good or bad I noticed one thing. If I felt it was good and the RPMs fell quickly, the car would run really well and responsive with minimal low RPM bog. If I felt it was running not so well and the RPMs would hang, there would be quite a bit more bog at the lower 2k range when I floor it. The engine would run a little more rough it feels and is noticeable in the car. Also, the start up would be almost instant if it was going to run well, and it would take some cycles for it to fire up if it was going to have not a good of a run.*

Last edited by Mattsvtcobra; 09-10-2020 at 05:13 PM..