View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
The edges on the new one looked like someone cut the hole with a plasma cutter very rough you may be on to something
If this is aftermarket, get one from Tremec. If from Tremec, I would call and explain the situation. They may have sourced this pin from a new supplier or any of a million other things that could have impacted quality.

If all that fails seek advice from a machine shop that works with hardened metals. They should be able to advise you better than I.

I once worked for a fortune 100 company that I could send a broken part to, and they could tell you exactly where it started to break from (usually multiple places), how hard the metal was (both throughout and on the surface, what the metal was, etc etc. They would recommend several options like using a different metal, machining changes, etc. Often you can go to a stronger steel and not harden it as much and achieve the needed strength.

The point of my rambling is that there are engineers and metallurgists that can solve any of these problems, but unfortunately we cannot afford them. However Tremec should employ at least some of the bottom of the class expert graduates. Maybe some middle level folks or higher, you never know. It's worth a shot.