Thread: Oil pressure
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
What is 'normal' oil pressure on a stroked 392 Ford Racing motor (430HP). This is the motor on my 2011 build (#983)?
I just changed the oil (9 qts of 10W-30), added two bottles of the zinc additive and using the WIX 51515 filter (5" long filter). While warming up and at idle, the guage was reading 3 1/2 bar (~50 psi). I have seen lower readings at idle after driving the car around for awhile. Just wondering what are the parameters that cause the oil pressure to rise and fall....and what is considered 'normal' at idle and at higher revs.
My 408W runs at 40psi @idle once up to temp and being driven a bit. You should be fine. I used to see 70 on cold start up before I added a thermostat to the oil cooler. Now is a around 60psi. The Thermostat I use has a 10% bypass so the oil cooler oil slowly gets up to temp and you don't dump a slug of cold oil into the engine once the Thermo opens. I run VR-1 10-30 oil.
The Ford Racing 392 installation notes to use a synthetic or reg 20-50W oil. Since its a roller lifter motor you don't need the Zinc additive.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...7-A392D392.pdf