View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

White,

The more I look at your pictures, the less I think there's a wear problem.

It begins to look like a support problem, i.e., if there's not a lower steering column bushing - and it doesn't look like there is one there, it may be a redesign/support problem. The "loose" part of the steering may be flex in the shahfts' locations due to insufficient support. You could check this by turning the wheel and observing/measuring the side movement of any or all of the shaft components. Believe me, if there's any flex, the car will seem to wander all over the road. Fixing this will make it into a new car!

First, I'd suggest looking into a lower steering column bushing.

Second, I'd suggest you read this: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Artic...le?keyId=28638

And also look at Flaming River or Ididit for advice on their web sites.

You may want to consider installing a double u-joint and a center support as they outline in the article.

I couldn't tell if there is a third u-joint, or some kind of rubber flex joint at the steering rack, but if there is, the problem would be significant.

Hope this helps,

Tom

PS: There's some welding at the upper u-joint. Unless these parts are meant to be welded (and some are definitely not) this could be a major safety hazard since welding can embrittle some kinds of steel.

Last edited by Tom Wells; 10-09-2020 at 05:23 PM..