View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
I think you need to really research what it takes to get the car titled and registered in Massachusetts before taking a leap. It's just not very easy for a "kit car". One of the reasons I drive a V8 swapped Healey was because I was fearful I couldn't get a Daytona Coupe registered and didn't want to have a $60k garage queen that I couldn't take out on the road. The biggest problem seems to be with emissions. A later build is going to need emissions controls. There is a procedure to buy an older car and have it crushed to meet these requirements. You can see a bit about it here: https://www.speedsterowners.com/file...on_process.pdf I haven't kept up with all the latest requirements so can't advise you step by step. My only caution is really do all the research and talk to those who have done the process in exactly the same circumstance you are considering. Cobras are meant to be driven, not just polished in your garage because you can't meet the Commonwealth of Massachusetts rules to get them on the road.
Thank you, Rick, for the great advice! What an inhibitive process. It’s difficult to find people who have gone through the MA process post 2011. Are people salvaging the engine block from these crush cars? No guarantee that the block is not cracked... AND they have to be registered within 5 years, which means they could be a small fortune for a pre-1974 car.