View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Something you want to keep in mind as you do your slave selection and replacement is slave cylinder diameter. Your SPF very likely uses a 0.875" clutch master cylinder like mine. Your slave ought to be a minimum of 0.875" or better yet 1". The slave I used in my car is 1.0625".

When you go to a 0.750" slave from a 1" slave you pedal pressure required to depress the clutch will increase. Here is the impact of changing slave cylinder diameter on pedal pressure. The model uses a 0.875" diameter slave and master as 1.0
  • A 0.750" diameter slave will increase felt pedal pressure by 36%
  • A 1.000" slave will decrease felt pedal pressure by 23%
  • A 1.0625" slave will decrease felt pedal pressure by 32%

To put this in perspective;
  • If you had a clutch with a 2400 lb plate, a 0.750" slave cylinder would produce a 36% increase in felt pedal pressure and is what you might expect to experience if you put in a clutch with a 3200# plate load. If you have never driven a car with one of these clutches, they give you cramps in your left leg and cause it to tremble uncontrollably in stop and go traffic.
  • If you had the same clutch with a 0.875" slave cylinder your clutch would feel like a heavy duty but tolerable clutch for many but not all drivers.
  • If you had the same clutch with a 1.00" slave cylinder it would feel like a light pedal in a showroom stock automobile and be possible for mere mortals to drive.
  • If you had the same clutch with a 1.0625" slave cylinder it would feel like a clutch in some proletariat euro import and be drivable by anyone (read your wife).

Choose wisely ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.