View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

This is the first I've heard about telescoping steering columns on any original cobras. that would explain those photos on this thread. Not an original never was. replica with" historically warranted modifications" The fat part is mine. The old steering column and wheel are from a 62-76 Triumph. not telescoping but a flat steering wheel. I'm intent on converting to a Quick release steering hub set up. I've looked around and I want something I'd trust and the spline drive is what I'm going for Besides being fat i also have had knee and hip replacement and that further complicates getting in and out. I never got in and out the way Matt Damen did in the movie but it is now a real chore. I think I could make a great entertaining video of me getting in and out of the car especially now with my new soft top.
As my car sits now The flat Triumph steering wheel misses the cowl by 1 3/4" It fits me driving just great. My snag was I can get the Quick Release Steering Hubs in 3, 5, and 6 bolt patterns The IDIDIT brand QRSH 6 bolt pattern is the MOMO, SPARCO, NRG, SABELT, FLASH POWER, OMP, and FOREVER SHARP,, steering wheel 6 bolt patterns. are the 70mm circle with the top center bolt at 12 O-clock. The minimum dish on a 6 bolt steering wheel seems to be starting at 1 3/4". The Triumph black plastic hub and the QRSH are about the same of 2" ,almost a wash. So my choice is the least dished 6 bolt or a flat 9 bolt and a 1/2" thick adapter spacer to go from 9 to 6 bolt. I'm planning this to death. My Old Triumph steering column has the working turn and headlamp dimmer switches I plan on keeping. The Triumph steering wheel started as a 14 1/2" OD and is leather padded and wrapped almost 15 "OD. the black plastic hub and steering wheel have an odd bolt pattern . three spokes with two bolts per spoke and another empty hole top center so nothing I can use later. I have found steering wheels in 14" =350mm, 14 1/2" =365mm, and 15" = 380mm I need to make some decisions. I'd like to be able to explain why and not say that was the way the coin flip landed. The Quick Release Steering Hubs didn't start with street driven cars so no horns , I want the horn on the steering wheel to work.