View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenmetals View Post
Here is a dyno pull on my 358 c3 Ford in my TA car.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/358-...ord-dyno-test/

Your data recording starts at 5000 rpm which is usually within 500 rpm (give or take) of a normal engine's peak torque. In the FWIW category, your C3 Heads, and for that matter your entire engine, fit into the fairly impressive category of a purpose built race engine. Because your engine, in actual fact, is a thoroughbred race engine it will likely peak its torque in the mid 6000 to 7000 rpm range because of heads and camming.

If your dyno pull was from a lower engine speed in the 2000 to 2500 rpm range (like the OP) the measured torque would be substantially lower until the engine speed and port air flow got up significantly, like they are at 5000 rpm and higher.

The only way to get the cylinder fill necessary for the table flat torque curves down low in the engine speed is with some type of positive displacement blower to produce the near 100% Ve necessary at the lower engine speeds for the flat torque curve.

Any naturally aspirated engine is going to show substantially reduced torque at 2000 engine rpm unless you are looking at something like a stationary power plant engine that has a peak engine speed in the 2000 -2500 rpm range. That's not what we use in these cars and that is not what you have.

What you do have is a 358 inch NASCAR or Cup engine that is purpose built to work in the 5000 to 8000 rpm range. In that rpm range, which it was designed to operate, you do have a very desirable and exceptionally flat torque curve for that generation engine.

Your engine compared to the typical Cobra replica engine is like comparing a greyhound to a border collie. They are both great dogs but they are very different dogs and so is their care and feeding.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.