View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
That's what 427 Side Oiler's can do. That's scary stuff Glad you had a scatter shield, one of the first thing I added to the 427. Mine is a Holman & Moody block (Date Coded 1965), with a LeMans Crank, and Rods. My engine builder say's good to 7000, now I'm not so sure We can fix broken, easier than heal. Glad no one was hurt RB60, Cheers TommyRot.
After a quick glance at the block and running the numbers (for some reason I was told it was a side oiler?), it's been determined to be a '62 1/2 406 block (don't ask me why I never looked when it was up on a lift before, and I never asked my mechanic ). From what little info I got with the car, it said the rev limiter was set at 5500 and could be set to 6500 after 1000 miles. The previous owner said he never increased it, neither did I.
Anyway, I am pretty confident the block is still good, so we will go from there.
Yes, I am all but sure I would not have survived if it weren't for the blow-proof bell, it probably would have cut my leg(s) off and I'd have lost control, it blew next to a drainage ditch and a 5 foot embankment. A brand new approved steel bell awaits, along with new alum. flywheel and HD clutch.
Oh well, such is the ownership of a replica of one of the most iconic cars in automotive history. Ya just gotta love it...and we sure do!!