View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
You can never seem to find apples to apples data to prove anything in this world, however I think your experience agrees with my observations over time. The hemi had massive breathing capability, but it improved very little at low volume pumping rates. The Hemi didn't start paying dividends until the pumping rate was increased, either by rpm or cid. When they stroked them out to 500 cid and spun them ridiculously fast there was nothing that could compete with them at the time.

I also point at NASCAR back in the day. The Ford 427 FE SO held their own against the Hemi on some tracks and even eked out a win here and there. The Hemi heads were superior, but it couldn't take full advantage of that fact.

I would agree with you, Rick. The low speed through midrange performance of the MaxWedge was pretty much on par with the Hemi. Once the Hemi hit its stride in the upper rpm ranges it was nothing short of amazing. The Hemi car would MPH anywhere from 10 to 15 mph falser than the wedge — again I think some camshaft experimentation could have substantially shrunk but not eliminated the difference.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.